Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.com
Chocolate Dipped Marshmallow Skewers
These are so easy to make, you won’t believe it. If you are using a dark or semisweet chocolate bar, you won’t need the shortening or coconut oil. But, if you decided to use chocolate chips, then you will need it to help the chocolate melt (chocolate chips are made specifically not to melt).
- Dark or semisweet dairy-free chocolate or
- Semisweet non-dairy chocolate chips (about 1 cup) plus 1 tablespoon shortening (preferably organic non-hydrogenated) or pure coconut oil
- Vegan marshmallows (Sweet & Sara or Dandies brand)
- Sprinkles, dried coconut or chopped nuts, optional
- Melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil or shortening (or chopped semisweet chocolate) in a heatproof bowl in the microwave. Heat for 30 seconds. Stir. Heat again for another 20 to 30 seconds and stir. Do this a couple of times, until the chocolate is almost melted. Gently stir the chocolate until it is all melted. The extra heat from the bowl will continue to gently melt the remaining chocolate. If necessary, you can heat again for another few seconds. Just remember that chocolate burns very easily.
- Place the marshmallows on skewers. Depending on their size, I like to do 1 or two. When the chocolate is melted, dip the marshmallows in the melted chocolate and sprinkle, if desired, with sprinkles, coconut or chopped nuts. Place the skewers on a lined baking sheet or plate and let the chocolate harden. You can pop them in the refrigerator for a few minutes to harden, but be careful not to leave them there for more than 15 minutes, or else they can absorb moisture and become sticky. Don’t freeze them.
Copyright © 2013 Julie Hasson