Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.comPrint
Chocolate Mocha Cakes
These chocolate cakes are a favorite around our house, and make a perfect special occasion dessert. Sometimes the centers of the cakes sink in a little bit, but you won’t notice it if you use a specialty cake pan with the design on the bottom. This way the cakes are flipped right side up and look perfect every time.
- Category: Dessert
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup hot strong brewed coffee
- 2/3 cup hemp, soy or almond milk
- 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp dark rum, optional
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- *Preheat oven to 350°F
- *Mini heart or bundt pan, greased
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk until well mixed and there aren’t big clumps of brown sugar.
- Add the hot coffee, milk, oil, rum and vanilla to the flour mixture, whisking mixture just until smooth. Scoop the batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until a tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool 15 minutes and then remove from pan. Transfer cakes to a rack to finish cooling completely. If desired, frost cakes when cool.
- *Chocolate Ganache
- /4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- /4 cup soy milk
- tbsp dark rum, optional
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips, soy milk and rum. Microwave for 30 seconds. Remove from oven and stir mixture until smooth. If necessary, microwave mixture for another 10 seconds or so, but do not overheat (chocolate will burn).
- Spread or drizzle warm ganache over cupcakes.
- Copyright © 2008 Julie Hasson