Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.com
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
This dark chocolaty loaf was a favorite at our bakery. With its rich flavor of spices and tenderness from loads of shredded zucchini, it’s completely irresistible. If you find yourself with a bumper crop of zucchini in your garden, run to the kitchen and bake yourself up a loaf pronto!
- Category: Dessert
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons soy flour (level tablespoons)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- Scant 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 cups grated zucchini (320 grams)
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9 by 5-inch metal loaf pan well with pan release or shortening. If desired, you can line your pan with greased parchment paper too.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, soy flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt. Whisk until everything is well combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk or stir together the granulated sugar, oil, brown sugar and applesauce until smooth and emulsified.
- Add part of the flour mixture whisking or stirring well.
- Add the zucchini and stir until combined.
- Add the rest of the flour mixture, stirring just until combined and smooth.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes, or until a tester inserted in center comes out clean and top of cake springs back when touched.
- Note: Check your cake at the 1 hour point. The baking time will really depend on your oven. It turns out that I was having some oven issues, so mine may have taken slightly longer to bake.
- Remove cake from oven to a rack to cool for 10 minutes. Carefully remove cake from pan and let cool completely on rack.
Tip: Although this cake is good the day that it is made, it’s even better the next day after being wrapped in an airtight bag overnight.