Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.com
Crispy Peanut Butter Bars
Not only are these Crispy Peanut Butter Bars super-easy to prepare, but they will transport you right back to the happiest moment of being a child. Discovering sweets.
- Category: Dessert
- 1 cup agave syrup or nectar
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- 7 cups crisp rice cereal (not puffed)
- ¾ cup semisweet (non-dairy) chocolate chips, optiona
- by 9-inch pan, well greased (preferably with organic shortening)
- In a medium saucepan, combine the agave and brown sugar, mixing well.
- Place over medium heat and cook, stirring often, until mixture comes to a simmer and brown sugar is dissolved. Add peanut butter, stirring until smooth.
- Add crisp rice cereal to pot, stirring until cereal is well coated.
- If adding chocolate chips, let mixture cool for a few minutes before gently folding them in. The chocolate chips will get melty really fast, so try not to over mix them. Alternately, you can sprinkle chocolate chips on top of bars instead. Scoop the cereal into the prepared pan, and press mixture evenly into pan.
- Refrigerate for at least ½ hour before cutting into squares.
- Eat and enjoy!
Variation: You can substitute other nut butters for the peanut butter in this recipe.
Copyright © 2011 Julie Hasson