Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.com
Curried Sausages With Coconut
These sausages are good, and are a perfect addition to Indian dishes, stir fries or even sliced and served with chutney. Delish!
- Yield: 10 links 1x
- Category: Seitan
- 2 1/4 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp sweet curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp granulated onion
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 cups cool water
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients. In a large measuring cup, whisk together the water, coconut milk, soy sauce and raisins. Add to dry ingredients, along with the coconut. Using a fork, gently mix together. Stir just until ingredients are mixed.
- Scoop 1/3 cup dough mixture at a time and shape into logs. Place logs on piece of aluminum foil and roll up, twisting ends.. Place in steamer and steam sausages for 30 minutes. Once sausages have cooled, refrigerate until ready to eat. The sausages will last, refrigerated, for at least a week. The sausages will firm up further after being refrigerated overnight.
Variation: You can shape the dough into little patties instead of links. If you don’t want to use aluminum foil, you can wrap the links in damp muslin or tea towel and tie ends with cotton twine.
Copyright © 2009 Julie Hasson