Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.comPrint
This delicious spread is a staple to the vegan diet and it takes only moments to prepare. The recipe … comes direct from the PCRM’s Handbook.
- Yield: 2 Cups 1x
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- 1 Can garbanzo beans
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame butter)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers (optional)
- Drain garbanzo beans, reserving the liquid from the can, and rinse the beans.
- Place all the ingredients except the reserved bean liquid in food processor and process until smooth. Add reserved bean liquid as needed for a smoother consistency.
- Spread on whole-wheat pita bread or serve as a dip for vegetables.
Recipe by PCRM dietician Jennifer K. Reilly, R.D., from The Survivor’s Handbook, Eating Right For Cancer Survival.
For more information on The Cancer Project, visit www.cancerproject.org
Copyright © 2008 Julie Hasson