Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.com
Julie’s Homemade Pan Release
This recipe is an old cake-makers trick, and works better than any can of pan release you can buy. I like to make a big jar and store it in the fridge so that it’s ready to use whenever I need it. The mixture will be much softer and easier to paint in your pan if you use regular Crisco.
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Crisco or other solid shortening
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Add all of the ingredients to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulse until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Store in an airtight jar in the refrigerator.
- To use: Simply brush into your dry pan with a pastry brush, leaving a nice coating. Alternately you can use a paper towel, although it’s harder to get into some of the little corners and crevices of intricate pans.
Tip: If desired, place your greased pan in the freezer for 15 minutes or so, to make double sure that your cake will release from intricate pans.
Copyright © 2009 Julie Hasson