Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.com
Julie’s Vegan Meringue Topping
Here’s my vegan version, which is almost a marriage of marshmallow and meringue. This makes a perfect topping for pies and tarts. You can even brown the top with a mini kitchen torch.
- Category: Dessert
- Mixture 1
- 1/4 cup water plus 1 tbsp water
- 2 tsp agar powder
- Mixture 2
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp Versawhip™
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp Instant Clear Jel™
- Mixture 3
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla paste or extract or 1/4 tsp peppermint extract (for peppermint marshmallows)
- Mixture 1: In a small bowl, mix together 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water and agar powder. Set aside.
- Mixture 2: In a small bowl, combine the Versawhip™, 2 tbsp sugar and Instant Clearjel™ until well mixed. In bowl of stand mixer add 1/4 cup water. Whisk Versawhip™ mixture into water, whisking until mixture is smooth and thickened.
- Mixture 3: In a large saucepan, mix together the remaining 1/4 cup water, sugar and corn syrup. Place saucepan over medium high heat and cook, stirring until sugar is melted. Stop stirring and cook mixture until it reaches 250°F. Once mixture is at temperature, remove saucepan from heat and carefully scrape in the dissolved agar mixture, whisking well. Return saucepan to medium heat and continue whisking and cooking for 1 to 2 minutes. If mixture starts to boil up, reduce heat.
- Carefully pour hot sugar mixture into Versawhip™ in mixer bowl, being careful to not splash the sides of the bowl (make sure to scrape sides of pot well, so that you get all of the agar mixture). Turn mixer on high and whip for about 5 minutes, or just until very thick and fluffy. Turn machine off, add vanilla paste and whip just until vanilla is incorporated. The fluff should be very shiny but not too stiff.
- Scoop meringue mixture onto pie or tarts and swirl with the back of a spoon or spatula into swirly peaks. You need to work very quickly with the meringue, before it sets up.
Copyright © 2009 Julie Hasson