Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.com
Julie’s Vegan Potato Latkes
Homemade potato pancakes are a delicious treat to eat, and are traditionally served during Chanukah. Although they take a little bit of work, they are definitely worth the effort, and you may just want to make them more often than once a year!
- 4 large/jumbo Russet potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 3 to 4 tablespoons potato starch
- 1–1/2 teaspoons salt
- Ground white pepper, to taste
- 3–4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Grate the potatoes and onion in a food processor. Place mixture in a colander in the sink and press lightly to drain out extra liquid. Take half of the mixture and pulse in the processor, fitted with the metal blade.
- Place all of the potato/onion mixture into a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients, stirring well.
- In a large, cast iron skillet, heat about 1/2 inch vegetable oil. Gently add scoops of potato mixture, flattening them with a spatula or the back of a fork. Fry over medium heat until golden brown. Flip latkes over and cook until golden brown and crispy. Remove from skillet and place on a paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining batter. Lightly sprinkle cooked and drained latkes with coarse salt and serve warm with applesauce.
Copyright 2012 Julie Hasson