Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.com
Nora’s Chocolate Cake
This cake has become one of my all-time personal favorites (and its fan base is growing daily). It’s the perfect dessert for almost any occasion. Not only is it easy to make, it’s also rich and chocolaty both with and without the frosting. If you decide to forgo the frosting, give the cake a light dusting of sifted powdered sugar just before serving.
- Category: Dessert
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1–1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1–1/4 cups hot strong brewed coffee
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons soymilk
- 2/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch glass baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk until well mixed and there aren’t big clumps of brown sugar.
- Pour the hot coffee, soymilk, oil and vanilla over the flour mixture, whisking mixture just until smooth. Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Bake the cake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until a tester inserted in center comes out clean (with the exception of a little melted chocolate from the chocolate chips).
- Let cake cool completely. If desired, frost cake when cool with Chocolate Espresso Frosting. The cake will last several days at room temperature. Just make sure to cover the top of the pan with plastic wrap.
Chocolate Espresso Frosting
This recipe can be cut in half, if you want to top your cake with a thinner layer of frosting.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) margarine (such as Earth Balance®), melted and cooled
- 1 1/3 cups unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 4 1/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup hot strong brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons soymilk
- 1 tablespoon dark rum or soymilk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl with an electric mixer, beat together the melted margarine, cocoa powder and half of powdered sugar, beating until smooth. Add the rest of the powdered sugar, coffee, soymilk, rum and vanilla, beating frosting until smooth and fluffy. If frosting is too thick, add an additional tablespoon or so of milk. Spread frosting on top of cooled cake and serve.
Copyright © 2010 Julie Hasson