Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.com
Rice Bowls With Spicy Tofu Based Cream Sauce
These rice bowls are not only easy to make, but absolutely delicious! They’re perfect for entertaining, as the rice can be made slightly ahead of time in a rice cooker, and the toppings quickly grilled or sautéed just before assembling. For a complete meal, serve with a simple cucumber salad on the side and mango or coconut sorbet for dessert.
- Yield: 4 1x
- Cooked rice (any kind. I used white sushi rice in the video)
- 1 block firm tofu, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus
- Soy sauce
- Furikake or toasted sesame seeds
- Fire Breathing Dragon Sriracha Sauce (1 recipe, see video for recipe)
- Teriyaki Sauce (1 recipe, see video for recipe)
- Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat and lightly oil. Add asparagus and cook until lightly seared on bottom. Flip asparagus to sear other side. You may need to reduce the heat to medium, so that asparagus doesn’t burn. When asparagus is lightly seared on both sides and just tender, drizzle with a couple splashes of soy sauce and remove from heat.
- Cut tofu into squares. Preheat a large skillet, preferably non-stick. Add a tablespoon or two of oil to the skillet. Add tofu and cook tofu until golden on bottom. Flip tofu to cook on other side. Flip tofu again, shaking skillet or using a spatula so that tofu is lightly golden.
- Drizzle the tofu with teriyaki sauce, until it’s lightly coated. Cook tofu another couple of minutes until tofu is glazed and lightly caramelized (and sauce has reduced so that it’s just coating tofu). Remove skillet from heat.
- Assemble bowls, starting with a scoop of rice. Top with caramelized tofu and seared asparagus. Sprinkle top with furikake or toasted sesame seeds and drizzle with Fire Breathing Dragon Sriracha Sauce. Serve right away.
Copyright © 2009 Julie Hasson