Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.com
Skillet Pie with Mixed Berries
I make this skillet pie year-round, not only because it absolutely delicious, but also because it’s so easy to make. For beautiful (and well-priced) frozen berries, look at warehouse stores like Costco.
- Category: Dessert
- 5 cups frozen mixed berries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, or to taste
- 1/4 cup plus 5 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp non-hydrogenated margarine (such as Earth Balance), melted
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- -inch glass or ceramic pie plate, 10-inch cast iron or ovenproof skillet
- Filling: In a saucepan, combine blueberries, sugar and 1/4 cup water. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together corn and 5 tablespoons water until smooth. Stir cornstarch mixture into hot berries and simmer until thick and mixture is clear, carefully stirring.
- Remove saucepan from heat and scoop mixture into prepared dish.
- Topping: In a small bowl, mix together flour, oats, brown sugar and cinnamon. Add melted margarine, stirring until incorporated. Using your fingertips, work margarine into flour mixture, squeezing until nice and crumbly.
- Sprinkle topping over blueberry filling and bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until topping is nicely browned.
Copyright © 2014 Julie Hasson