Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.com
Smokey Sausage Links
These smoky links are outrageous grilled and served on a bun (with all the fixins!). They also freeze really well and are a great addition to many recipes. Try shaping them into little mini smoky links for a fun appetizer. Frank’s Red Hot Sauce is a slightly spicy sauce, with a nice bit of tang. Don’t substitute an equal amount of Tabasco sauce for the Franks.
- Yield: 10 links 1x
- Category: Seitan
- 2 1/4 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp granulated onion
- 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp sweet or regular paprika
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 1/4 cups cool water
- 6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke
- 2 tbsp Franks Red Hot Sauce (or sub 1 tsp dried chili flakes for the Franks)
- 1/2 tsp dried chili flakes
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients. Whisk together the water, garlic, olive oil, soy sauce, liquid smoke, hot sauce and dried chili flakes and using a fork, gently stir into the dry ingredients. Stir just until ingredients are mixed.
- Scoop 1/3 cup dough mixture at a time and shape into logs. Place logs on piece of aluminum foil and roll up, twisting ends.. Place in steamer and steam sausages for 30 minutes. Once sausages have cooled, refrigerate until ready to eat. The sausages will last, refrigerated, for at least a week. The sausages will firm up further after being refrigerated overnight.
Copyright © 2009 Julie Hasson