Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.com
Sweet Cornbread With Agave Butter
I’ve been making this recipe for a number of years, and it always comes out great. You can use it as a base for stuffing/dressing, serve along side chili, soups or stews or even serve it for breakfast. Yum!
- Yield: 8 1x
- 1 1/2 cups medium grind yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar, or to taste
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 cups soymilk or other non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Agave Butter
- 1/3 cup Earth Balance Buttery Spread™, or other vegan non-hydrogenated margarine, softened
- Agave nectar (either light or amber), to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Cornbread: In a large bowl, mix together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add milk and oil to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Be careful not to over-mix batter.
- Scoop batter into a greased well-greased 10-inch cast iron skillet, muffin cups or baking dish. Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned on top, and a tester inserted in center comes out clean. Baking times will vary depending on the pan you use.
- Remove cornbread from oven and set aside to cool.
- Agave Butter: While cornbread is cooling, combine the softened Earth Balance™ with agave nectar, beating until smooth. Serve agave butter with warm cornbread.
Copyright © 2009 Julie Hasson