Brian and Crystal and their daughter Skye are from the Hawaiian islands. They bring to you a taste of their cooking style that reflects their island roots. Follow Brian at The Maui Vegetarian.
This Spanish style paella is incredibly delicious, easy to put together and quick to impress. Prepare using your favorite vegetables.
- Category: Rice
- Cuisine: Spanish
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 onion, chopped fine
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked Basmati rice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 vegetable bouillon
- 1/2 green bell pepper. chopped fine
- 1 tsp. tomato paste
- 1 small tomato, chopped fine
- 3 cups water
- pinch of saffron
- salt, to taste
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme & oregano
- Saute onion, garlic and bell pepper in olive oil until softened.
- Add tomato and saffron and saute for another minute.
- Add herbs, bay leaf and rice, mixing and thoroughly coating the rice.
- Combine bouillon, tomato paste and water, bringing to a boil.
- Add salt and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, until nearly done. Top with blanched vegetables and continue to simmer until rice is tender. Serve with garlic-cashew sauce (video) drizzled over paella.
Vegetables such as carrots, baby corn, zucchini, yellow squash, small diced potatoes, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.